25. I haven’t written in days, being 25 is a lot busier than being 24 was.
24. I also had a migraine for the first 4 days of my 25th year, so there are 2 excuses for not blogging.
23. I realize they are bad excuses.
22. I had a VERY happy Birthday. The night before we went to the Taj Palace for dinner with my family and Grandma and Grandpa. I love Indian food. But, I think I actually like the stuff I made better than theirs.
21. Steve gave me a Costco membership for my birthday, complete with rhyming poem about said membership.
20. He also gave me some fun DVDs to replace some that were stolen.
19. Speaking of our stolen things, I finally gave the insurance company some replacement receipts today. We may be getting some more money soon!
18. We went to see Wolverine on my birthday. It was very good, albeit very violent. I’m good at closing my eyes during fight scenes, if you aren’t, I wouldn’t really recommend it. But we enjoyed it.
Doesn’t she look lovely? Steve and I elected not to go camping for my birthday so I could help Lizzy get ready for prom. It was so worth it. I love that I get to be here for some of my sister’s milestones. I’m very happy with how the dress turned out. The best part was definitely how nervous her date was.
16. Another reason we didn’t go camping was our new calling. As Stake Dance specialists (glorified name for disc jockeys) we had our first dance on Saturday night.
In case you can’t tell, this one is the YMCA. A classic that will be played at all Stake Dances until the end of time.
15. Did you know that they haven’t added a single song to the “appropriate for Stake Dances” song repertoire since I was 18? Every song on our list was a song I danced to back when I was young and wild and free.
14. Now that I’m 25 I’m old and wild and free.
13. There were a couple guys who really wanted us to play the “perfect” slow song so they could ask some girls on dates while they were dancing. Trouble was, they didn’t know what the perfect song was. They also didn’t like any of the ones we picked for them. The real trouble was, they were chicken.
12. Sunday we had dinner with Grandma and Grandpa at our house. Mom and I made a spice cake, because I’d been craving it for a few days. It had cream cheese icing and lots of toasted pecans.
11. I was going for yummy over pretty here, and boy was it yummy!!
10. Wednesday I made a cake for Dr. Carl Olden’s birthday. It was one of my best yet. It was a chocolate cake, and between the layers I put the leftover cream cheese icing from the spice cake, and then covered that was a raspberry filling. My head hurt too much to think about frosting a cake, so I made some Ganache, which I could just pour over the cake and it would be all shiny and smooth. It looked too plain, though, so I dusted it with sugar and piped a little. I only had one bite, but it was SOOO GOOD!
9. I’m now a firm believer in the Ganache.
8. Wednesday evening we had Captain and Leslie Smith over to play some games. We played a rousing round each of Qwelf and Zombies.
7. I sure wish they weren’t going back to Illinois next week, I’m quite put out about it.
6. Of course, because we had friends over, I made another cake.
5. This one was easy, though. Have you ever made an icebox cake? Thank you, Smitten Kitchen, for one of my new favorite recipes!
4. I was notified by Safeway’s Cheese Cookbook makers that my recipe for Herbed Cheese Spinach Pizza was one of their winners! (Grocery money is always welcome!)
3. They have titled me “Cheese Champion.” I always knew I deserved that title.
2. Just to prove I do other things besides make cake, here I am making Russian Black Bread.
1. I love it when I feel the need to knead.