These next few posts are more for me than for you. Sorry. Then again, in all honesty that statement really applies to everything I write. This blog has become my journal. I’m not going to hold back on these posts- be warned!
But you can still read my story.
Now that precious little Evelyn is here with us it is time to document her arrival. I get to do this one-handed, between feedings, so its taking me a little while to complete.
8/13/10 Dr. Herman has the news I’ve been dreading for nearly 9 months: I’m Group B strep positive, so I have to have an IV during delivery. I didn’t cry until we left, which I considered a major accomplishment. He checks me, says I’m not dilating, slightly soft, and she is at -4 station. He tells me he will be out of town the 25th through the 29th, but that he thinks it is unlikely I’ll deliver before my due date. I leave his office feeling bummed but thinking he doesn’t really know and that she could be born any day.
We spent the week going on walks and cleaning the house. We also signed a new lease to our current apartment so we wouldn’t have to move. (Huge blessing!)
8/20/10 At my next OB visit Dr. Herman’s tune has changed. I’m dilated 1.5 cm, 60% effaced, soft, and she is at -3. He also says that although my diabetes hasn’t been a problem, he still prefers not to have diabetic patients carry further than 39 weeks, which was only 3 days away! He strips my membranes and says he’ll most likely see me in the hospital over the weekend but to call him on Monday if labor doesn’t start by itself.
We spent every minute of that weekend doing every old wife’s tale we knew (within reason) to start my labor:
- Spicy foods
- Raspberry Tea
- Lots of Lovin’
- Breast Pump
Thats’s all I can think of, but there may have been more. I drew the line at Castor oil.
We also made sure the house was clean and our bags were packed and the grocery shopping was done.
Friday night I lost my mucus plug, and throughout the weekend I had bloody show and cramping. All good signs, but no contractions at all.
I also spent the weekend asking the Lord to soften my heart about the way I had things planned. I didn’t want Pitocin but recognized I might be forced to make that decision very soon. He had already comforted me about the IV and I felt confident it wouldn’t cause any problems.
8/23/10 Monday morning I went to work but told everyone I thought it would be my last day. I played a bit of phone tag with my doctor’s office, and Steve and I met with someone to verify we installed our car seat properly. While there, Dr. Herman called me and asked me to go to the hospital for a non-stress test to make sure Evelyn was doing well. He told me he would meet me there and check my cervix.
Steve and I enjoyed a rousing game of Monopoly Dice while I sat hooked up to monitors for about an hour. Everything looked good, but I wasn’t contracting. Dr. Herman told us that it was our decision whether or not to induce, since I was diabetic but there didn’t seem to be any problems.
That was hard.
We were so ready to meet our little angel, and the idea of knowing when and not playing the waiting game was so tempting, but we just weren’t sure it was the right thing to do for Evelyn’s sake. I felt selfish wanting to be induced, but the truth was right there: I did want it. And I certainly hadn’t wanted it before. I had made the decision months ago that induction would be a last resort, and here I was WANTING it. Steve and I talked about it briefly, and decided we both wanted it and felt good about going for it. At least this way, we reasoned, Dr. Herman will deliver her instead of someone we’ve never met.
Due to scheduling issues at the hospital, they asked me to go and come back at 4:30, at which time they would place Cervidil in my cervix. It is a prostaglandin insert and it would sit in my cervix all night and they would check me in the morning. At that time we would see if labor would start or discuss going further and using Pitocin.
We went home. We vacuumed. We cuddled and talked. We told our family our plan. I asked Steve to give me a Priesthood blessing.
Steve changed into his white shirt and tie, along with his jean shorts and sneakers. He told me it was his Priesthood uniform. We laughed and joked that he could play guitar for AC/DC.
As soon as Steve placed his hands on my head I felt the Spirit enter our apartment so strongly. The laughter of the previous moment was forgotten and the comforting power of the Lord filled me. I was crying before he even started to speak. He called me by name, and said many tender things which calmed both of our souls. I was told that I would be blessed to know if the induction was the right thing to do when it was time, and that our baby would be safe. I was again reminded of God’s love for me.
Because I would just be sleeping at the hospital and it was unlikely that labor would begin right away, unless it did so on its own, we decided it made sense for Steve to go to work as scheduled. He could take me to the hospital and then leave for his shift, which started at 5:00, then come to the hospital when he was finished. Unfortunately, shortly after the blessing we got a call from the hospital asking me to come at 7:30 instead due to room availability.
So, like all the books and all the experts tell you NOT to do, I drove myself to the hospital and checked myself in.
Part 1 took me 3 days to write, hopefully as we settle into more of a routine I’ll be able to blog more frequently. Thanks for being patient with me!