I’ve been reading too much Sew Beautiful.
I decided I wanted to try some new techniques and make Evelyn an heirloom Easter dress this year. It took me some time, and it was hard work, but I am VERY happy with the results.
I think my sewing abilities have drastically improved in the last 18 months.
We had an Easter egg hunt at my Aunt & Uncle’s house on Sunday. It was fun to watch the kids look for eggs, and they were kind enough to fill some eggs with baby treats for Evelyn.
She wasn’t totally sure if she liked the grass or not.
It is fun to watch her learn to pick things up when we hover her over them. She never ended up picking any eggs up by herself, though, because she didn’t like the feel of the grass on her hands.
It’s funny that she is ALWAYS smiling for pictures but I couldn’t get her to for these. Ah, well. We got some very sweet pictures anyway.
Because I wasn’t sure how much of the dress they showed off (Steve took the pictures) I tried to get a few more after we got home, but she was sleeping.
The yoke I made in a white striped cotton, which I added machine embroidery to in soft cotton thread. You may recognize this embroidery pattern from here and here and the Christmas dress jacket I just realized I never took pictures of. You can’t go wrong with something made by Martha Pullen, though.
I also added cotton piping to the collar edge and the scallops on the yoke.
The skirt and sleeves were done in a pink swiss dot (Thanks, Becky!), to which I added two rows of lace beading insertion (I need a wing tip needle, but I’m still happy with the insertion). On the hem I added entredeux and gathered lace edging. The sleeve edges are gathered with elastic and have the same lace edging attached.
And the skirt has two pockets with matching embroidery and piping.
She found she liked to hook her fingers on the ribbon in the lace and pull, cinching her skirt up. I’m still not inclined to tack the ribbon to the lace, but I may wish I had in the future.
We had a very happy Easter and it was a beautiful way to start a new week after a very hectic one the week prior. (I had thought she might go to church in a sleeveless dress fastened with safety pins, but I was able to get everything finished at the last minute.)
(Evelyn’s dress was altered from Simplicity pattern #2392 vintage collection)